The Northern California Chapter of the AVS (NCCAVS) is awarding a scholarship for student(s) who show exceptional promise in areas of interest to the AVS. The AVS is an interdisciplinary, professional society that supports networking among academic, industrial, government, and consulting professionals involved in a variety of disciplines - chemistry, physics, biology, mathematics, engineering - through common interests related to the basic science, technology development, and commercialization of materials, interfaces, and related processing.
The scholarship is for $5,000 per year, renewable up to four years as long as the student remains in good standing with a minimum 3.0 GPA. The student must be enrolled full time in a scientific or technical area of study relevant to the AVS. The awardee will receive a complimentary student membership in the AVS and will be expected to participate and be involved in the organization of the NCCAVS annual equipment exhibition, technical symposium, and student poster sessio.
Requirements for the scholarship include:
To apply, submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Current undergraduate or graduate student enrolled in a 4-year college or university within the geographic bounds of the NCCAVS (which includes California zip codes 93700-96099 and Nevada)
- Declared major in a field that displays relevance to the AVS.
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- A one-page statement of purpose, describing the applicant’s career interests and how it may be relevant and contribute to the mission of the AVS. (See http://avs.org/About for more information)
- One letter of recommendation from someone who can assess the student’s potential for areas of interest to the AVS. (The letter may be sent separately by the reference)
- Unofficial Academic Transcript. Abbreviations of classes should be correlated with class titles if not provided on the transcript. Official Transcripts will be required prior to award
Applications are due no later than Apr. 18, 2022. Only full submissions will be reviewed. The award will be announced by May 30, 2022. Scholarship payments will be made directly to the University.