- Understand the reactive sputtering process.
- Learn the ramifications of reactive gas partial pressure control and flow control.
- Learn how to obtain high deposition rates by working in the transition zone.
- Understand process monitoring and control methods.
- Learn about reactive high power pulsed magnetron sputtering
This course is intended for those who have taken the basic Sputter Deposition course or who have an equivalent background in sputtering. Familiarity with different sputtering methods (magnetrons, RF, etc.) and the parameters (pressure, energy, etc.) that affect film properties (stress, structure, etc.) is helpful but not required. The course provides an understanding of the fundamental parameters and effects that are important in particular applications and helps attendees recognize from experimental results those that determine the film properties, whatever the film and the desired properties may be.
Because applications of reactive sputtering have expanded significantly in the last decade for optical coating and optical waveguides, decorative coatings, hard coatings, magnetic films, etc., and because industrial-scale manufacturing has focused on the materials and methods of deposition, this course will cover these topics in detail. This course will also focus on:
- Gettering effects and hysteresis of pressure, target voltage, deposition rate; the effect of pumping speed.
- Target processes in sputtering compounds; partial pressure control of the reactive gas.
- Partially reacted target methods for high rates; avoiding arcing and defects; activation of reactions.
- Reactive high power pulsed magnetron sputtering (HPPMS also know as HiPIMS).
Course Cost: $790
Who should attend?
Scientists, technicians, and others who have taken the basic Sputter Deposition course or who have an equivalent background in sputtering and are looking for more information on reactive sputtering processes. Familiarity with different sputtering methods and the parameters that affect film properties is required.
President, Reactive Sputtering, Inc.