- Learn about ion formation, ionization, and recombination collisions.
- Understand gaseous breakdown and plasma formation.
- Know the collective behavior of particles in electric and magnetic fields.
- Understand the operating principles of widely used ion sources.
- Learn about extraction and transport of the ion beam from ion sources.
- Know design and fabrication of ion sources and materials limitations.
- Learn about applications of ion beams and sources in research and industry.
This course includes elementary atomic collisions, rudimentary plasma physics, essentials of gaseous discharges, principles of ion sources, and the basics of ion beam formation. It also emphasizes the applications and operating characteristics of commonly used ion sources: microwave, RF, DC discharges, multiply charged, negative, and novel. In each case, an ion source is described by the method in which the ions are formed and extracted in the form of an ion beam. Materials used for constructing electrodes and chambers are also discussed.
Course Cost: $690.00
Who should attend?
Technicians, engineers, scientists, and supervisory personnel involved in the design, fabrication, installation, and operation of commonly used ion sources.